Old February 6th 06, 08:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
Nick Le Lievre wrote:
I`m thinking about putting a cheap PII450 Slot 1 CPU upgrade in
this machine it is possible. I had a quick look at the current CPU
a few weeks back and it doesn't look like a Slot 1 CPU although it
must be - its mounted flat instead of upright. I haven't bothered
to take a closer inspection but the Slot 1's I remember used to be
mounted vertically into a Slot 1 socket. Is this different or am I
looking at it wrong ?

I found this post where a person is trying to do a similar thing
http://tinyurl.com/7ddnf he says the retention mechanism is only for
SEPP (Celeron) CPU but the P2 266 already in there must be SECC
surely "Since the processor is on its side in the computer, then the
off-the-shelf Universal Retention Mechanism (URM) clips that can be
bought won't work (because they are vertical only.)"

The processor is on its side so will a standard SECC P2 Slot 1 450
which I have always thought mounted vertically fit in this Deskpro
EN 6266 on its side (its has a 440bx chipset apparently eg supports
100mhz).

Yes it appears the Slot 1 could be mounted horizontally or vertically
http://tinyurl.com/bpneu although I never saw it horizontally before.
Question is can I mount a standard slot 1 p2 450 horizontally in this
system what about rentention mechanism ?

There is stories of people with Deskpro EN 6350 and 6450 upgrading to
P3 550 and P3 1ghz http://tinyurl.com/7ma2u if my 6266 has a 440bx
motherboard as has been suggested it should be the same as the one in
the 6350 and 6450 and theoretically allow me to go up to P3 1ghz
(100mhz bus).

Had a look at the motherboard and it has a dip switch where you can set
either 66mhz fsb or 100mhz fsb so it must be a 440bx and not the 440lx which
only supports 66mhz. I tried to remove the CPU but couldn't figure out how
to do it - anyone knows how to release the CPU on these models where its
mounted horizontally. Also am I going to have a problem with the CPU fan
connection ?

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well