Old February 6th 06, 04:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 CPU Upgrade

Nick Le Lievre wrote:
I`m thinking about putting a cheap PII450 Slot 1 CPU upgrade in this
machine it is possible. I had a quick look at the current CPU a few
weeks back and it doesn't look like a Slot 1 CPU although it must be
- its mounted flat instead of upright. I haven't bothered to take a
closer inspection but the Slot 1's I remember used to be mounted
vertically into a Slot 1 socket. Is this different or am I looking at
it wrong ?

I found this post where a person is trying to do a similar thing
http://tinyurl.com/7ddnf he says the retention mechanism is only for SEPP
(Celeron) CPU but the P2 266 already in there must be SECC surely "Since the
processor is on its side in the computer, then the off-the-shelf Universal
Retention Mechanism (URM) clips that can be bought won't work (because they
are vertical only.)"

The processor is on its side so will a standard SECC P2 Slot 1 450 which I
have always thought mounted vertically fit in this Deskpro EN 6266 on its
side (its has a 440bx chipset apparently eg supports 100mhz).

--
And to all those opposed...
Hmm...well