Old November 24th 04, 09:14 PM
Eddie Crismond

Ben Myers wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

1. Look in the system BIOS setup to see whether or not ECC can be disabled. On
desktop/tower non-server systems, it usually can.

There is a setting for ECC in the BIOS. Just asked to make sure.

Once again, you
may run into a BIOS limitation. Yes, PC600 will run slower, but not noticably.
If you can get your hands on a stick of CHEAP PC600, it's worth a try.

Ok, I'll consider PC600 as well. It seems like the FSB would be the
bottleneck on this system, since the FSB runs at 133Mhz.

3. The Matrox G400 AGP graphics card is plenty fast, unless you are into video
games. Then an nVidia card would be better. But how much faster would a video
game run with a 600MHz processor. The G400 has 16MB or 32MB?

I just did a brief Google search on the G400. Looks like most of the
hits mention 16MB SGRAM. Not only does the G400 not have enough memory
for The Sims2, I don't think it has hardware transform and lighting.

4. If the system has a Windows 2000 ceritificate of authentication sticker
(COA), why not re-install Windows 2000?

I may do that, then I might be able to get by with 256MB of memory. I'm
also considering Windows 98SE, since 98SE may work better with 128MB
than a later Windows version, and RDRAM is still almost prohibatively
expensive.