Old October 15th 04, 01:25 PM
HH

Hmmmm. I cannot think of any home use a good 7.2K ATA 100 drive cannot
handle, especially one with an 8MB cache. You are right SCSI priced itself
right out of the consumer market at the same time IDE drives got faster and
more reliable.
HH

"Euclid" wrote in message
nk.net...
I sorta figured that out after a little googling, but thanks for
confirmation of my suspicions. If I decide to buy a special adapter card
and cables, I might as well get a SCSI anyway...or so my mind works. After
doing some reading, I'd really prefer a 15K rpm hd, which only comes in
SCSI. Of course you'd have to be a university professor to afford one, I
suppose. (I'm not.)
-E

"HH" wrote in message
You would likely have to buy a PCI SATA controller card, since your
Presario onboard controller is an IDE controller. The SATA cable is round
and uses a much smaller connector. New Egg has the controller cards and
cables, too. Try he

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...124-101&depa=1

HH

"Euclid" wrote in message
nk.net...
Thanks. It looks like only Western Digital makes the 10K IDE drives, and
calls them Raptors...
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD,
OEM Drive Only
Specifications:
Capacity: 74GB
Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms
Buffer: 8MB
Rotational Speed: 10000 RPM
Interface: Serial ATA
Features: High Performance SATA Interface
Packaging: OEM Drive Only

Reading the reviews brings up several possible technical problems. For
example a SATA cable is required. I have no idea what that means, nor
how it will modify my computer. At present I have a cable which has a
middle connector for the slave drive, and would want the same. They also
talk about needing different drivers, and that the SATA drive won't work
with some motherboards or will require a special BIOS. That creates
another big research project, I suppose, which may put it beyond my
capability or interest. I'd like to have the speed, but can't stomach
too many technical uncertainties out of the gate...
-E

"HH" wrote in message
Try he

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...roperty&DEPA=1

HH

"Euclid" wrote in message
ink.net...

If you need real speed, get a 10,000 RPM IDE drive and put it on a
separate
controller Better yet, get a SATA controller and 10K drive.

I've looked but can't find anyplace to order 10K IDE drives. I see
them mentioned in reviews only, so they must be very new. Got any
links to retail suppliers?
-E