Old June 8th 04, 11:18 AM
HH

Every 4 seconds?? Hmmm. Might try this:
1. Hit start, Run and type "msconfig" (without quotes) and hit OK.
2.Select the Startup tab.
3. Uncheck everything except Explorer and Systray.
Exit msconfig and reboot.
See if the LED still flickers. If not, go back to msconfig and recheck the
boxes, one at a time, rebooting after each. This will tell you what is
querrying the HD.
HH

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
"HH" wrote:
With AIN active, the HD LED will flicker about once per second.
HH

It's not that. I did disable it.

The flicker is about every 4 seconds.

-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote
"HH" wrote:
Right click on any CD-ROM drives in Device Manager and select
Properties, then the Advanced tab.
HH

Oh!

BTW: the mail stoppped. Not sure which change did that. Now just to

run
down the disk access. I'll try the CD tab, but I doubt that that's
accounting for the excessive dick access.

Thanks.
-DK

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in message
"HH" wrote:

If so, disabling Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager
should fix it. HH

I don't see "Auto-Insert Notification in Device Manager" in the

device
manager in the pc that I am sitting next to (not the one with the
problem). Is it on every Windows 98 machine?

-Dennis

"doS" wrote in
The disk activity may be your cd roms ...Windows checks the
cdrom status regularly...

"Dennis Kessler" wrote in

message
How can I stop the mail and constant hard drive activity?

Everytime the Presario 5170, running Windows 98 is booted
up, the computer tries to send an email. I can see this
activity on my router's log file. No mail programs are
running. Nothing is queued to be sent.

This began yesterday, (I think, after fiddling with the
internet keyboard buttons). Prior to yesterday, I had the
startup configuration in msconfig, set to not load the
Compaq startup software that controls the keyboard buttons.

Also, I see the hard drive light showing regular activity
every several seconds, no matter how long the computer is
idle.

The disk activity is not the fast find program. I have that
set to stop.

-Dennis

--
Dennis Kessler