Old May 5th 04, 03:18 AM
HH

Again, the floppy drive uses a floppy controller, not the IDE controllers,
and a 34-conductor cable. IDE cables are 40-conductor (wider). On a standard
PC, there are two ide controllers (primary and secondary). Each can handle 2
devices. Period.
HH

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very, very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and

connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
HH, I don't get it....my nephew has 3 drives connected; 2 CDRW

drives
and
one floppy.....all with one ribbon cable!

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I buy a 3 drive (plus the motherboard connect) 40Pin
ribbon
cable?

thanks in advance,

tele64