Old January 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Thagor

I have a 4p router with parallel port print server on my net that works
flawless. My sharing is all turned off and all systems print directly to the
router. In most cases you can get the router with print server built-in for
less than the cost of a stand alone net print server. Check the prices, I
paid $40 US for mine.

"Whelan" wrote in message
I tried to install the network printer several times but couldn't because

of
that same problem -- not seeing the Dell computer it's attached to.

I wish there was some way to install the printer using just the IP address
(which it can ping), bypassing name of computer it's attached to. I tried
typing that in, but it just wouldn't take it.

I wonder if that's possible somehow?

(I have a 256mb usb drive, so the lack of file sharing will be only a

little
inconvenient.)
Nan
"tc" wrote in message
Both names are listed because the Netgear router didn't update its

database
to remove the old name. The only problem with duplicate names applies to

you
having 2 or more computers on the same network with the same name. If

you
look at the list of names on the router, you will be able to tell if any

are
duplicated.

You can add a printer to an xp machine from Control Panel - Printers and
other hardware. Assuming you have the printer attached to another

computer,
you would choose Network Printer. If the wizard can find it, it will

give
you the appropriate directions to add it to the Compaq. I have no idea
whether this will work as you can't share files. But its worth a try.
Terry

"Whelan" wrote in message
Yep, 'Obtain DNS Server address automatically' is checked everywhere.

I've been reading the Belkin manual and I went to the router by

running
192.168.2.1 and found MAC addresses. And from some tips there about

"adding
computer" I was able to get the compaq's wireless card to see the

router
and
it can connect to the internet. That added an additional IP address

for
the
Compaq.

But both ways, the Compaq can only ping with the others by IP

addresses,
not
name. A microsoft troubleshooter said the computer name might be a
duplicate, so I changed it to PRESARIO. Now both names get listed but
neither is accessible.

I'm very happy to have wireless internet access on the Compaq now. I

can
probably share most files by a USB drive.
I just wish I could print!
Nan

"tc" wrote in message
You did confirm that 'Obtain DNS Server address automatically' was
checked,
didn't you?
Terry

"tc" wrote in message
I don't think Simple File Sharing applies if you are running

Fat32.
Hmmm.
Terry

"Whelan" wrote in message
SEQUOIA is just the Workgroup name ... it's one of several I've

tried.
But
it's always the same, the Compaq can't get beyond the

workgroup's
name.

I've started reading the articles you linked to ... I notice