Old May 28th 04, 11:54 AM
spodosaurus

I've been using a linksys 2 port ps2 kvm switch kit as well as a sitecom
2 port ps2 kvm to share a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse as well
as a 19" monitor at 1280x1024 and 85hz between winxp home and a fedora
core 1 (previously different versions of redhat) boxen. I've had no
problems in 18 months. Sometimes the keyboard trigger doesn't get picked
up, so I have to reach out and press the button on the switch. This is
rare, for both models. I'm not sure if the model of linksys that I have
is still available.

If you're really worried, order from a place with a good return/exchange
policy and at least one other KVM kit to choose from. However, I doubt
you'll have any need to make use of that. Modern KVM switches with
mouse/keyboard emulation should run fine with anything.

The only drawbacks are that my logitech wireless optical mouse is
detected differently through the KVMs. The logitech wireless keyboard's
features work fine (under windows, of course, I haven't bothered trying
to get them working under linux).

Regarding sound, if your cases don't have front audio ports then buy an
audio extender cable and just switch your speakers between PCs as
necessary. That was my solution, because while I'm using the linux box
I'm often waiting for an online game to start on the windows box. The
sound from the windows box lets me know that the game is about to start.
If I were using a KVM with sound, I'd lose that ability (sound would
switch to the linux box and I'd miss the start of my game).

My one concern is being able to use a TFT monitor with my KVMs. I'll
need to do some looking around about that, as I want to upgrade, and the
KVMs I've seen only have the standard analog video ports and cables.

HTH,

Ari

--
remove the underscores to unmung the email address...