Old March 23rd 07, 03:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

Default My computer is spontaneously rebooting!

"OhioGuy" wrote in message ...
Over the last few days, my Compaq has become increasingly unstable, and
now reboots occasionally in the middle of things. It can be anything - in
the middle of AVG Antivirus 7.5 doing a virus scan, or my kids watching a
DVD.

The very first time I noticed something strange was when I inserted my
Sandisk Cruzer into the front USB port. Instead of taking a minute or so
transfer files, it told me that it would be something like 1200 hours. I
rebooted the system, and next time I inserted the cruzer, the machine
rebooted.

The only thing I've changed was about a week ago when I replaced an old
DVD-ROM drive with a newer one. In the past, I've also had an additional
hard drive in there, so I'm pretty sure it isn't the power supply - there
is
actually less power usage on it now than it had a month ago.

(snip)

Doesn't matter. You have classic signs of a power supply going bad.
Replace it. -Dave