Old December 23rd 18, 08:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default Was failures on boot 12-16-17

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:01:10 -0600, Char Jackson
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 22:12:46 -0500, Paul wrote:

Jonnyguru.com has power supply reviews, and sometimes
an item you see for sale, has been reviewed, and you
can get additional information before buying.

Regarding PSU sizing, most of what I've read in recent years, (with the
Bronze and Gold etc. labeling), seems to agree that you want the PSU to
be running at about 50% of its rated capacity because it's most
efficient there. Does that sound about right?

Sounds like mine is running un-efficiently at 100/850. I don't care
long as it keeps working. It's 80 Platinum. Users on NewEgg have
experienced premature failures anyway. One at 9 day point. It seems to
have cured my "complaining fan" beep on start-up when some fan spins
up too slow and my BIOS? doesn't like it. I think that started after I
added a bigger fan on my cpu. (I had ambitions of overclocking in
those days) I had to mount the new supply at the top of case with this
case, so the fan points down. Darn if I can see if it's spinning
behind its grill or not. Trying to think of some non-damaging article
I can poke up in there to check. If the 'Hybrid' switch is not on the
fan is only supposed to run when the supply is hot enough. Right now
I'm leaving the fan running all the time. My old supply lived with a
running fan for 10 years. Though it's fan was considerable smaller.
Fan is silent to my hearing-aided ears. After a few more days of
successful operation I've got to lace up some cables in there.