Old February 5th 19, 12:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default question about CPUs and GPUs

wasbit wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
Yes wrote:
Snip

The number of shaders on video cards is going up. Only
Furmark (a benchmark) seems to use them all. You can play
an older game on a 150W video card, and the video card only
draws 40 watts.

Snip

Thought you meant Futuremark
- https://benchmarks.ul.com/

Hadn't heard of Furmark
- https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

Thanks.

Furmark is for verifying the power limiter on your video card.

The driver is capable of different optimizations depending on load.
During "Smoke-Particles", it operates in VREL mode, meaning
the core voltage of the GPU is high, the core frequency is high,
but not all the shaders are being used fully.

https://i.postimg.cc/GhvnCqFw/Smoke-Particles2.jpg

Whereas with Furmark, the card goes into power limiting.
The voltage is reduced so volts*amps stays below the card
limit. When the voltage drops, the core frequency has to drop,
and the core frequency can't be as high as in the previous example.

https://i.postimg.cc/85cZzPxf/furmark.jpg

Presumably it's also possible to be temperature limited,
but I haven't left either of those tests running long
enough to find out. The card I bought is a "short" card
with two fans instead of three fans. If I had bought a
card with three fans, the card would not fit in the
computer case.

Paul