Old October 14th 18, 08:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default why different BIOS for Windows and Linux?

On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 21:16:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Going to Acer website, they have 4 BIOS to download:
2 for Win8, 1 for Win7 and 1 for linux.
Why so? I don't think other manufacturers specify a restrictive BIOS.

They shouldn't either. BIOS is cooked into the MB. What you're
looking at is the different flavors of seasoning salt called drivers.

-

Not that I'd ever claim that the BIOS is wonderful either, but at
least everybody knows that the BIOS is just a bootloader, and doesn't
try to make it anything else.

The absolutely biggest advantage of a BIOS is that it's so
inconvenient and obviously oldfashioned, that you have to be crazy to
want to do anything serious in it [...] don't get any ideas about it
being some grandiose framework for anything else than "just load the
OS and get the hell out of there".

- Linus Torvalds