Old April 10th 08, 04:35 PM posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
nik Simpson

Default Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Bob Willard wrote:

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece of hardware, or glitches due to
software or environment or fumble-fingers. IMHO, since the HD is one
of the most reliable pieces of a PC, RAID-1 has very little value
for a home.

Hmm, if I look at all the hardware failures I've in the last 15 or so
years, hard disks are probably the least reliable part of my desktops. I
can't recall a CPU, memory, graphics card or motherboard failure in that
time, maybe I'm just lucky (or unlucky depending on how you look at it.)
--
Nik Simpson