Old April 3rd 07, 05:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DRS

Default SLI and power suppliy

"Andi Cole" wrote in message

"Larry Stone" wrote in message
newsZsQh.28585$oV.8460@attbi_s21...
I have an 8800GTX and plan to add another. How critical is the power
supply. What happens if the PS is insufficient? The certified PS's at
slizone all cost at least $150.

My 8800GTX's requires two 6-pin PCI-e connectors each, that makes the
picture clear as to how much power is required. I'm using an Etassis
850 which has four 6-pin connectors so no need for the adapters. I
really wouldn't skimp on the PSU.

Nvidia told Xbitlabs the air-cooled 8800GTX peaks at 145W (12v air-cooled).
That's 12.1A in my book. That's roughly in line with the real-world tests
that show the 8800GTX is only about 25% more power hungry than the X1950
XTX. In any event, SLI 8800GTX has been shown to run quite happily on a
decent 500W PSU with 40A or so on the 12v rails, so when you factor in the
CPU @100% and what have you 20A per card is obviously an over-estimate.

The fact is you do NOT need a monster PSU to run SLI 8800GTX. You were
conned into buying a much more powerful PSU than you really needed.