Old October 10th 03, 05:52 PM
Christopher Browne

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing (Gregory L. Hansen)wrote:
It looks like the machine I have (an HP Kayak XAS, you may have seen
me mention it already) can be upgraded from a PII 400MHz to dual
PIII 600MHz. But the PIII's are substantially more expensive than
the PII's, around $70 each compared to $10 each.

I guess I'm not that excited about a 50% increase in clock rate, by
itself. But is there a great advantage just in going from a PII to
a PIII with a comparable clock speed? Would I get substantially
more computing for the money?

The bigger win there is liable to be in moving to faster and more
copious amounts of memory that you can get cheaply.

Jumping to even newer generations has the merit that you can get 512MB
sticks of memory very cheaply. I would expect _that_ to, by and
large, be the dominant reason to prefer fancy new architectures.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/lsf.html