Old September 18th 09, 07:50 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Default Replacing EMC Clariion disks with Best Buy disks

lid wrote:
Cydrome Leader kenjka:
Hitachi holds Asian market mostly, and they manufacture enterprise boxes for
HP and Sun, so they get a market share in EMEA/USA with these brands...

I know the older (maybe still true) HP arrays were hitachi if you opened
them up, but the support was still from HP and HP has some of the finest
docs out there.

Yup... XP boxes are Hitachi USP and USP-V from the inside...

The Hitachi field engineers seem great- they know the stuff inside and out
as they should, but when it comes to the damn management software, it
really seems like you're on your own.

Talking to me, I've seen management for UPS machine... We were looking at it
trying to figure out which drives are installed inside... ))) Took us
about and hour...

That sounds about right.

HiCommand's "Device Manager" is one awesome program. It's great to locate
free space, but the ability to actually allocate it is 100% broken. It
can't ever add space to a host because it's not able to tell you checked a
box, ever, at all, on any browser.

It's like WTF, can somebody fix this program, or has it ever been tested?

All the error message have misleading IBM like error codes like
"KAIC10175-E" except there's no book to look up the error or what it
means. I suspect they're random and nobody knows what they are, even in
Japan.

For rebadged stuff, probably, but if you buy HDS stuff from a HDS reseller
or whatever that nonsense is called, you get to deal with HDS themselves
(at least in the US).

Here in Croatia, everything is sold through partners... My company is a
partner for almost everything that counts (EMC, Hitachi, IBM, HP, Sun,
VMware, Oracle, SAP, Microsoft, etc)... When we sell any stuff, we have to
stock spare parts and take warranty on us...

Interesting. So when an IBM customer has problems, you switch out your Sun
shirt and show up as IBM?

For HDS here, it seems they have real employees that come out, but simple
stuff like disk swaps is handled by a third party, like maintanence for
SUN and HP unless you have some sort of 4 hour support and a really big
deal problem. I have no problem with this as those techs know their stuff,
I really don't care what company name is on their paychecks.