Old September 18th 09, 04:37 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Cydrome Leader

Default Replacing EMC Clariion disks with Best Buy disks

lid wrote:
Cydrome Leader kenjka:
that Hitachi guys (as well as my EMC team) are considering Hitachi AMS
series as a real problem when trying to sell EMC... Hitachi's more reliable
and almost twice cheaper, but there are other problems with Hitachi which
are more people-related than technology-related...

Mmy opinion is the software for the hitachi stuff all sucks. There doesn't
seem to be any support website, I have no idea where you get docs, if they
exist or are even translated into English and the programs themselves are
just strange and somewhat crippled. I might use three different Hitachi
programs at once just to add a LUN to a host. It makes no sense, other
than Hitachi had non-technical people that can't spell SAN write the
management softare.

Yes, that's Hitachi's main problem - software and support... EMC is calling
themselves 'software company', and are claiming that they're 4th biggest
software company...

Hitachi holds Asian market mostly, and they manufacture enterprise boxes for
HP and Sun, so they get a market share in EMEA/USA with these brands...

I know the older (maybe still true) HP arrays were hitachi if you opened
them up, but the support was still from HP and HP has some of the finest
docs out there.

The Hitachi field engineers seem great- they know the stuff inside and out
as they should, but when it comes to the damn management software, it
really seems like you're on your own.

I believe that software is mainly

left to HP and Sun to design and support...

For rebadged stuff, probably, but if you buy HDS stuff from a HDS reseller
or whatever that nonsense is called, you get to deal with HDS themselves
(at least in the US).

The hardware itself seems good. Every once in a while a drive fails and
somebody shows up to replace it.

EMC has got the same stuff, when something in the storage array breaks down,
the storage box calls service center in Cork and sends data about what has
happened, so the partner can dispatch service crew and replace the
problematic parts...

The stuff here "calls home" though FTP. I keep meaning to snoop exactly
what is being sent to the HDS FTP site when a drive fails.