Old March 31st 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
~misfit~[_2_]

Default E4300 and 650i overclocking

~misfit~ wrote:
Phil Weldon wrote:

[snip]

By the way, I'm going to try out diamond dust in an oil soluble base
for a thermal compound; it's cheaper than 'Arctic Silver'!
Five grams of 0-2 micron diamond particles for $7.34 US. Actually
larger particles would likely be better; that's a bit more
expensive; ~ $20 US for five grams.
McMaster-Carr at http://www.mcmaster.com

S'cuse my ignorance Phil but why the diamond lapping paste as a TIM?
It seems a rather strange thing to use to me. Does it have properties
that I'm not aware of? Are you sure that the paste won't thin out and
run away at temperature leaving a few "rocks" and air gaps in it's
place?
Is it just for bragging rights? ("You've got silver? Loser. Mine is
diamond." g)

(BTW, I'm aware of your view on commercial TIMs).

Cheers, and good luck with the system, I'll be following your
progress with interest.

Ahh, OK. having done some research I now know that diamonds are *very*
thermally conductive. I only hope that your paste has a high percentage of
diamonds to carrier. Maybe you could heat it and hope that the diamonds
settle? Probably not at that size.

Anyway, good luck. :-)
--
Shaun.