Old March 15th 06, 11:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Hazards of hard disk internals in the house

Warra wrote

I took apart an old 120MB disk drive to get the magnet.

I rather like the platters and want to keep them in my house.
Maybe to use as coffee mug mats or something like that.

I've reported you to the RSPCPPHDBTF, you'll be soorree...

But I don't want to rest my sandwiches on a platter
while having a coffee and then find that the platters
have some toxic coating or can be a hazard!

Why not ?

Can anyone tell me.

Most are fine, not all tho.

Also, I guess the magnet is made of a special alloy
using rare metals. Could it too be toxic or hazardous?

Nope, its fine.