Old July 5th 17, 01:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
MZB

Default computer fried--query about restoring on new used computer

On 7/4/2017 6:23 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
Yes, Mel, put the hard drive from the fried computer into an identical replacement and the replacement should boot right up. There is an outside chance that the hardware is different despite the identical model. In this case, installing drivers fixes whatever problem there might be. You may also have to re-activate Windows as well as paid-and-licensed software like Office, Adobe Creative Suite or AutoCad.

I am assuming, of course, that the hard drive is not damaged and it is free of errors like reallocated sector... Ben Myers

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:16:14 AM UTC-4, MZB wrote:
I bought an HP Probook 6570b laptop, used, years ago. Loved it. We had a
coffee spill and it fried my computer.
Ok, just ordered a used computer – same exact model – from Amazon (it’s
also used).

Sadly, I had a lot of stuff on the fried computer.

Now, I do regular image backups using Macrium Reflect Free.

My question: can I install Macrium Reflect Free on the computer I just
bought and restore my latest image from the fried computer and be
totally okay?

As an alternative, can I just put the HD from the old computer into the
new computer. Would everything be the same?

Mel

On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:16:14 AM UTC-4, MZB wrote:
I bought an HP Probook 6570b laptop, used, years ago. Loved it. We had a
coffee spill and it fried my computer.
Ok, just ordered a used computer – same exact model – from Amazon (it’s
also used).

Sadly, I had a lot of stuff on the fried computer.

Now, I do regular image backups using Macrium Reflect Free.

My question: can I install Macrium Reflect Free on the computer I just
bought and restore my latest image from the fried computer and be
totally okay?

As an alternative, can I just put the HD from the old computer into the
new computer. Would everything be the same?

Mel

Ben:

How would I reactivate Windows (it is W7). Do I just call and explain
the situation?

Mel