Old July 13th 19, 04:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Tachi X570 has only 1 gigabit ethernetport kinda disappointing(not future-proof, no 10 GBe)

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:29:39 PM UTC+2, Paul wrote:
wrote:
WOW,

It's worse then I thought, almost all over their new X570 motherboard have the same intel crap ethernet ports of 1 gigabit/sec

Only the phantom has 2.5 gigabit/sec.

While the competition is at 10 gigabit/sec

This is definetly going to eat into their sales of these motherboards I think.

Anybody with half a brain and some research is not going to buy these boards if they want to be future-proof.

Even 10 Gigabit/sec for these new processors and motherboards is on the low side... only pci express lane is already near 2 gigabyte/secs which is roughly 10 gigabit/sec ethernet port.

So x570 motherboards with 100 gigabit/sec ethernet ports would probably have sold like warm bread or something.

Doesn't seem like any of these motherboard has it though.

So the market for 100 gigabit/sec ethernet cards for pci-express 4.0 will become very real in the near future, say a couple of years from now.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Desktops begin to saturate at some level.

Buying whizzy I/O or storage for them, isn't a total
mistake, but you're also not getting as big of a
benefit as should happen.

To me, 10GbE is "all I'll ever need", simply because
the OS won't be able to drive the I/O any faster than that.

It's partially to do with the need for OSes to redesign
the I/O stack so they can work better.

But the need for increased storage and isolation features,
means more and more of performance is wasted in "CPU cycle crap",
and you simply won't be able to push the I/O faster. Even
if the CPU had a 100 cores and 5GHz operation, the 10GbE will
still be the right card.

It's the same with NVMe storage. Sure, they'll put PCI Express Rev4
on it soon. You'll run one benchmark on it, see a high number.
And... that'll be it. The OS still won't write more than 4K files
per second to the device, because the NTFS stack is so bad. Your
storage will be no better than my SATA SSD. And that's sad.

*******

The company that made the $70-$100 10GbE cards has been
bought out. You can expect prices to rise back to
non-competitive levels. There's no particular reason
for including those chips on motherboards now.

The new game in town is probably RealTek (2.5Gbit chip?).
RealTek will keep their price low, and drive the other
company away. But... it's only 2.5Gbit/sec, so hardly
a big deal. It'll be the 8139 all over again.

*******

It should take you around 30 days of shopping, to arrive
at the perfect choice. Study your motherboards well, Obiwan.

Paul

I'm Skeptical.

This will be for my soon-to-be-new PC which will have 16 cores at 4.0+ ghz.

So roughly 64 gigahertz processor.

If necessary I will develop my own 16- or 32-thread transfer program

64 gigahertz should be enough to transfer at 10 gigabit.

Though I can see it's a close match to some degree

I can understand problems with interrupt driven software... never was a fan of that...

Perhaps polling might be a solution.

No idea yet how windows 10 solves this problem or linux for that matter.

That reminds me I have to read an article about that. Thanks

Will do so tomorrow.

Bye,
Skybuck.