Old December 11th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
wasbit[_2_]

Default AGP 8x vs PCIe

"Grinder" wrote in message
Currently I'm using an AGP 8x video card (Asus A9600XT) with this
motherboard:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.as...ual-VSTA&s=775

If I have to replace that card, would I be better off putting in a PCIe
card. The literature for the motherboard refers to the PCIe slot as a
"PCI Express Graphics slot," but I can recall seeing it referred to as
"PCI Express Slot (x16 physical, x4 electric)" or something close.

Q1) Will a PCI Express x16 Video Card under perform compared to a "real"
x16 slot?

In the real world, (from everything that I've read & heard - so this is
hearsay because I didn't keep the multitude of links) there is no noticable
difference between the Pcie running at 4x & AGP running at 8x - even with a
new Pcie 16x card in a 16x slot any benefits are only really seen at the
higher end.

Don't worry about changing your video card until you have to, by which time
Pcie will be the only way to go - unless of course you come across an
absolute bargain.