Old November 7th 20, 05:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive

I read that weak CMOS battery can prevent detection of a drive. I have
two
SSD drives. One an old Samsung 500GB boots reliably. Drive D: is a new
Seagate Barracuda, 500GB that is not detected reliably. I've done
everything
conceivable with the cables. I've read bad reviews on the Barracuda.

BIOS program says CMOS battery is 3V whereas 3.3V might have been when
it
was new.

Is it worth my time to buy a new CMOS battery?

Thanks

Glad you got it figured out.

To answer your question though, a 3.0 volt CMOS battery is fine.

If the battery was too low, you'd simply lose your settings.

I did *once* have a battery around 2.6 volts that would not allow the
machine to post.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, no matter what fiddling I could do, the Seagate Barracuda
continued to show unreliable symptoms. Read/write errors and failure to
detect at boot up. I ran Seagate tools that said the drive was slow, at
one
time. I read a bad review of Barracuda. We decided it's a bad drive. I
have
a one year warranty. I bought a 3 TB WD HDD and installed it. I am now
doing
a backup. Then I will return the drive for a replacement Barracuda SSD.
High

SSD drives are very nice for instantaneous response, when they work.

I plan to run some large programs for medical imaging. When it comes to
medical diagnostic imaging, one needs to do it oneself.

And you'll need a totally reliable drive for that.

Speaking of medical imaging, when I was at my dentist....when they tried
to take an x-ray, their computer crashed. After a few attempts, I told
them to try a different USB port.

All worked fine.

I should have had them deduct my technical services from my bill.

More than that Philo,

Further back in this thread I thought I said I replaced the Seagate
Barracuda with a good one. I also bought a 3TB WD HDD for backup. Prior to
swapping out the bad Barracuda, I made a backup to the 3TB WD HDD. When I
tried to restore, I ran into CPU overheating problems. Not every thermal
grease is OK. Second try was "Kryonaut Ultra High Performance Thermal
Grease" from thermal grizzly. Overheating problem was solved and restore is
working.

The CPU I have may be heat damaged. I checked, the best CPU for this
Gigabyte main board is Intel Q9650. I had an Intel Q9650 CPU but it burned
out. Temperature reached 126C. then screen went blank. I ordered another
Q9650 CPU from a reputable supplier. I'll start again.

Heat death of a CPU is slow. During slow death, Win10 is a bugger. If you
see RunTimeBroker in Task Manager, you know you're in trouble. While it
looks like a software problem it is more likely to be a cooling problem. I
have a gaming case. I could install two more fans. I ordered 4 RAM heat
spreaders. I'll do a before and after check with my IR Laser temperature
gun.