Old September 26th 18, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Char Jackson

Default "Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On Thu, 13 Sep 2018 20:20:14 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

On 9/13/2018 7:56 PM, Paul wrote:

When you look in your PC, the ATX supply has five wires
feeding the 15 pin SATA power. That means your ATX is equipped
to power *any* storage device with SATA interface. Or, that's
what they thought years ago. They thought at the time, that
putting 3.3V on there was a good idea.

Hardly any storage devices use 3.3V today. There were some
1.8" SSDs with microSATA, which were powered by 3.3V, but
that has died out.

2.5" SSDs (i.e. for laptops) would use 5V.

OK, now consider the lowly Molex to SATA adapter cable.

************ X \
************ X* \___ pins not connected, perfect for your drive!!!
************ X* /
Molex* GND** GND
************ GND
************ GND
* red* 5V*** 5.0V** 3.5" logic board power
************ 5.0V** 3.5" logic board power
************ 5.0V** 3.5" logic board power
black* GND** GND
************ GND
************ GND
yellow 12V** 12V*** 3.5" drive motor power
************ 12V*** 3.5" drive motor power
************ 12V*** 3.5" drive motor power

Since a Molex doesn't have a 3.3V wire, there's no
way for PWDIS to be triggered if you use one of these
adapter wires.

While you can cut the 3.3V wire with side cutters,
on the feed from the ATX, that's a little bit harsh,
and there's always a danger the cut end could short
out to something in the PC and cause damage.

Try an adapter cable and it should start right up.

** Paul

I actually have a couple of these. I will try it out tomorrow.

Thanks !

Is it tomorrow yet? The suspense is killing me.