Old June 15th 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jonathan

Default Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I have the right stick?

In my Medion 8083, there are 2 sticks of Samsung and 2 of Elixir
memory, 256Mb each. 1Gb simply isn't enough these days, so I did lots
of research, found various configurators and read this page:
http://md8083.hertsinternet.com/memory.shtml which led me to believe
that this product should suit:
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/63128 - bought 2x1GB DDR PC3200
400MHz 184pin non-ECC ram, exactly as should work, and as you can see
from the other page, 1Gb sticks should work.

However, what arrived in the envelope was non only unbranded (which I
expected - when 2Gb of RAM is £66 inc postage with the google
discount, I wasn't worried at first!). On the back of the RAM is
"Middle East Memory Ltd" and the email address

On the front is a sticker with just the number 178873 and there are 8
chips marked 128xDDR, also the numbers 0710 400 on each chip. So, I'm
guessing that'll be 400Mhz and 128*8 is 1024, so it looks sort of
right.

But when I put them in, it doesn't matter if I go for pairs in 1,3 or
2,4 or 1,2 or 2,3, mixing it as 1:1gb,2:256,3:1Gb,4:256 or even singly
(which shouldn't work, even though putting in one 256 stick seemed to
work). If there's a combination, I've tried it.
All I get is a 5 second beep, 3 second silence, 5 second beep. No
bios, nothing. Won't boot a floppy so I can't run memtest.

I checked in the bios - the memory speed option is set to auto, and
the current memory I have in there is PC3200 400Mhz (no, I didn't
leave the old memory in when fitting the new sticks!)

ebuyer are happy to take them back as faulty, but is it something I'm
doing wrong? Is there a setting or something?
I've googled myself silly and read the Medion forum, but maybe it's
just this type of memory?