Old September 5th 03, 03:48 PM
Eric Lee Green

In article , Howard Huntley ruminated:
I want to thank you for your reply. I solved the problem with the
tapes being rejected by adding the carts to a group and erasing them.
I now am facing an exsisting problem. The drives will not compress.
Each of the drives have hardware compression enabled but when I enable
compression in the backup software the status shows that hardware
compression is enabled but I receive an uncompressed amount of data
stored on the full tape cart(DLT or NS20).

Try 'tapeinfo' from the mtx package ( http://mtx.badtux.net ) and see
what it tells you about compression status on each of your drives after
your backup has run and before it has put away the tapes.

Also make sure you do not have *software* compression turned on in your
backup software. That renders hardware compression null and void, since
it will not compress already-compressed data. Also, if you're backing up
already-compressed or "random" data (such as video or music files), they
will not compress with hardware compression either either.

--
Eric Lee Green
Linux/Unix Software Engineer seeks employment