Old September 23rd 07, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
fake-name

Default SP2, yes or no?

wasbit wrote:
darklight

IE5 = Internet Explorer (version 5)
OE = Outlook Express (emails & newsgroups ....that probably confuses you even more).

Eljerid

In my opinion you would be silly NOT to use Service Pack 2 with XP
a) because it's available free. Burn it to a cd for future use if you download it or even better learn how to slipstream
it into an XP disk.
b) you need Service Pack 1 to get usb2 capability so you might as well use sp2 because it includes everything in sp1.

erm...
Overlooking that XP has always had some build of IE-6 not 5

The XP Service Packs are more than just bug fixes for IE and OE -
they apply bug fixes right across the entire OS.

It's bad enough that we are still waiting for an official SP-3,
why insist on using an OS that isn't even patched to SP-2 ?

One point that may be worth making is that if your XP is a build
*before* SP-1a, ( including SP-1 ) it will have the now unsupported
Microsoft Java Virtual Machine.

Applying SP-2 will neither uninstall nor patch the JVM -
it should be uninstalled manually.