Old December 16th 19, 03:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default Problems rebuilding system

From manual, here are the beep codes:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify
possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

I switched the split connectors and still no beeps. The PC continues to
reboot ad nauseum with one RAM DIMM.
The split connectors are probably as labeled POWER LED+/-

How useful are these beep codes compared to bare metal diagnosis? Not much.
Given observations the beep codes can be predicted. The biggest issue is
RAM. Now it is less an issue.

On page 48 of manual it says PCI graphics is the default. Without PCI
graphics one will never see the BIOS screen to change the default.

I'll get a $5 PCI VGA adapter Monday and try again.

I cannot find any reference to beep/beeper with Cougar. Maybe it is
considered obsolete, and not installed