Old October 24th 06, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

Default Corrupt NTFS filesystem

On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 05:10:24 GMT, (Citizen Bob)
wrote:

I know, I should reinstall Win2K from scratch. But I refuse to do it
because 1) I have close to 100 installed applications, many of which I
do not even recall the customizations. It would take months to
reinstall all that software to the same configuration I now have; 2) I
refuse to cave in to the absurd demands of Windows having to be
reinstalled every 6 months just because MS won't spend the money to
fix it. Maybe I will install Vista from scratch, but not XP or Win2K.

Again you are being silly.

There is no more reason to install Vista from scratch than
Win2k. There is no reason to install win2k every six
months, but rather what WAS ALREADY TOLD TO YOU.

Do a clean Win2k install. Did anyone suggest "reinstall
every 6 months"? No. You need to focus on what WAS
written, not on wild presumptions.

So you have a lot of apps installed? So what? Think
nobody else does? All you have to do is make a clean
installation, export the appropriate registry keys and copy
over the installation folders and shortcuts for the start
menu. Will it work 100% of the time? No, there will be a
few things that need more attention, but since nobody was
suggesting you just delete your entire existing
installation, it's not as though this information is
suddenly gone and can't be referred to, to get any rogue
apps working.

Something else you can do is compare the clean
installation's system and driver files to your old one- the
apps should not need special drivers in most cases, save for
a few dealing with specific hardware.