Old May 19th 04, 01:38 PM
Vastly Doggerel

"smh" wrote in message
. --------------------------------------
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

In Nero 5.5, sometimes I choose to burn a CD in mixed mode, i.e.
containing audio tracks and data files. Whenever I choose the mixed mode
template, I find however that it always burns the data files in the

first
track of the session, and audio begins with track 2 and onwards. How can

make the data go into the last track?

Burn in CD-Extra by selecting "CD EXTRA" icon in the left pane of New
Compilation window. (Careful not put data into the special folders.)

Burn in Enhanced CD by first burning audio with "Audio CD" without
Finalize CD, then burn data with "CD-ROM(ISO)" and "No Multisession".
(Uncheck Finalize CD if you want to add more data later.) (This is the
old Nero way of burning CD-Extra.)

See:
How do I put audio and data on the same CD?
http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq03.html#S3-14

(If you go to Mikey's site, be careful. It's abundant with half-baked
research, that is, misinformation. See my responses to Mikey.)

This is annoying because when I put the mixed mode CD into an audio CD
player, I always have to skip track 1 in order to hear the music. Track

1
always plays as a completely silent track.

I was also wondering, if the audio CD player thinks the data track is
audio, why is the output completely silent? I was expecting to hear some
random screeching or humming noises as the CD player feeds raw bytes of
data to the codec's analog outputs, but somehow that's not the case.

Mixed Mode is also described as "Don't play track 1" format. CD-R Faq
cited above touches on the playing "data".

Finally, I am under the impression that using the mixed mode template
increases the usable space of a blank CD, and I'm guessing it's because
audio and data go into one single session. Burning one session with only
audio tracks, and a second one with data, would solve the ordering

problem
above, but yields less usable space. Is this correct?

You may very well be right that Mixed Mode gives more usable space, but
if there is gain, it's in my guess about 37M when compared with Enhanced
CD.

smh, MR sums up in his own words what, as an old player, he has become:

...but old players do not and can screech
intolerably if given Mixed Mode.

Thanks for your clear instructions. Looking forward to more rebuttals of the
Intolerable Screecher from you.
--
Vastly