Old November 18th 11, 12:29 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
RJK

Default Laptop battery no longer gets charged

From: "BillW50"

In ,
From: "Yousuf Khan"

I got an older model laptop running XP, it's a Gateway MX6440, which
is about 6 or 7 years old now. I keep it around to run older
software which may not have been ported to Windows 7. Just recently
I noticed that it's no longer charging its battery. The battery is
just over 1 year old, and it replaced the original battery. I see
the Power icon showing that I'm running on the AC mains, and that
the battery has 0% charge left on it, but the icon doesn't show any
charging going on. I could possibly get another battery, but I'm
afraid that maybe
there's nothing wrong with the battery, and the problem might lie
with the circuitry that charges the battery from the mains. Any way
to test this? The problem just occurred last week. Before that it
was charging fine.

Replace it. They don't last long. That's why a notebook might have
a 3 yr warranty but the battery only has a 1 yr warranty. The same
goes with powertools like Makita and DeWalt, etc.

It depends on how you treat them. I have had Li-Ion batteries last up to
10 years while Barry Watzman got 12 years out of his.

Maybe. But normal usage shows the average battery doesn't last long. As
a function of time any given rechargable battery is less capable of
holding a charge for its rated discharge period as well as its ability to
supply full power decreases.

Then you have to look at how the charge/discharge cycles affect different
technologies; Lead/acid, LiION, NiMH, NiCAD, etc.

I just had to replace the battery in my Makita some months ago. It would
charge up but when I used the Makita it wasn't long before I had to
recharge it again.

Think about your automobiles (or boats) and over their life span you had
to replace the battery.

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

I'm going to have to buy a new set of "Salt Crystal" batteries for my
electric scooter soon, only bought it in April this year !!!
....as I head out the back door I do a zig-zag ...car on left - £4 for 22
mile round trip, scooter on right - 12 pence electricity !! :-)

.....if raining, car wins every time !

regards, Richard