Old October 12th 18, 05:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default USB stick that's bootable has TWO names

On Fri, 12 Oct 2018 08:11:25 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

You know what I mean.

Yes. The "hidden" DOS switch to FDisk /MBR [Master Boot Record];
brackets or inclusions not be included upon execution. Older, more
thorough methodology included proprietary LLR (Low Level Routine) from
the manufacturing factory resources and support.

-

The boot sector on the USB, which was formatted with "Rufus" freeware
to make it bootable, is tiny, a few hundred kB, but has a name. Then
the main USB, which is large, say 15 GB, has another name.
Reformatting each USB will wipe them clean, but how do you 'combine'
them into one USB partition? Even a non-quick,complete format does
not wipe out the 'boot sector' of the USB.

Annoying more than anything. I renamed the boot sector "dontUse" and
that was that, but, should I play around with maybe reformating as FAT
rather than NTFS? Or what's the hack?

Not a big deal, just curious.

RL

-
Precisely. Some programmers do tend to be very much hackney, which is
often why, in a similar spirit, they release the source of their code
freely, into general public licenses, rather than to copyrights
exclusive of any and all further usage not involving a tidy profit to
said interest.