Old May 12th 18, 06:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
none

Default Answering my own question (Epson Ecotank ink in other cartridges)

On 05/11/2018 22:38, mike wrote:

Any issues with cartridge chips. (sic)

I just bought a Brother laser because those were the only ones I found
without chips and with cheap Chinese toner cartridges. At $7.50 for toner
carts, not much need to refill 'em.

I got a free Brother MFC-J475DW. I had planned to try ink from
an ancient Epson Stylus Color IIs, but a whole set of ink carts costs
about $6 from China. Maybe I'll revisit the ink compatibility issue.
Since the cartridges don't have the print head, I'm worried that this
experiment is a one-way trip.

I really don't need color often enough to keep the heads clean.

I swore I'd never buy a printer that had jets separate from ink carts,
but I've done it twice.

First I'd better admit that the refilled setup cartridge on my HP OJ 250
didn't keep working. It would only throw ink for a few seconds at the
start of a print job and then quit despite being drippingly full.
Repeated cleaning cycles didn't help. So I ended up buying a
Dataproducts HP 62XL remanufactured (i. e., commercially refilled)
cartridge for $20, or half the cost of a new one. Works fine so far.

That said, I'm afraid I can't help with chip issues because they tend to
be model-specific. With my HP it detects that the cartridge has been
refilled but because of some antitrust issues HP recently ran into you
can bypass the dire warning messages that pop up on the printer and keep
on trucking.

And frankly, in your case with that Brother inkjet, I don't think I'd
bother with refilling if I were you unless getting those cartridges from
China is a hassle in terms of time or shipping costs. $6 is an absolute
steal if they're genuine-or even if they're not but still work.