Old June 3rd 17, 09:42 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Intel's super-dooper i9

On 03/06/2017 12:58 AM, wrote:
It looks like AMD have caused Intel to pull their finger out at last,
after giving us teeny improvements the last few tick-tocks.
Must be worried about Threadripper, so they announce extreme i9 with
16 even 18 cores. But wait, they have only revealed half the specs....
How much cache will it have, for example? I think they don't even
have engineering samples cooled down yet, and are just trying to stall
any buyers who might be tempted to go to the red side.

It looks like it caused AMD to react back as well. Originally
Threadripper was supposed to only have 44 PCIe lanes, now they announced
it's going to be a full 64 PCIe lanes! Wonder if Intel can match that.
And on top of that the server EPYC processors on which the Threadripper
is based has upto 128 PCIe lanes, so conceivably, AMD could enable upto
128 lanes if Intel increases their lanes too.

Core i9 is supposed to have upto 28 lanes on all of their 6 & 8 core
parts, while their 10 core+ will all have 44 lanes.

Not sure what use all that many lanes are going to be of use for, hardly
anyone is doing 3 or 4-way SLI/Crossfire, which is about the only major
thing that could possibly use that many lanes for.

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop