Old January 11th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Default Compaq Deskpro EN 6266 & 1790 *Update*

"Nick Le Lievre" wrote in message

Put my friends 10.2gb in the system and it detected the parameters

correctly
same with a 6.8gb drive. I'm installing operating system on the 10.2gb

now. The
original drive still gives 1790 with incorrect drive parameters.

I couldn't install my copy of Windows 2000 and when I booted from cd which
has fdisk, format etc I ran format and it reported "Track 0 error disk is
unusable".

I put the 6.8gb in and tried formatting but it quickly reported "trying to
recover lost allocations" I couldn't be bothered to wait for it to finish so
I tried a 2.1gb and formatted it at about 97% it said "trying to recover
lost allocations" so I left it 20mins and it completed format.

I then installed Windows 2000 successfully however this 2.1gb hard drive
only powers up 1/3 times (you can hear it) and the power on button on the
case isn't making a consistent connection with the switch so its hard
getting it on - that with the hard drive problem is bad.

I think I`ll just leave it on lol that would be best I think