Old January 6th 04, 06:29 AM
Whelan

XP has been fine, except for this inability to join the home network and
print through it.

This Presario has been my son's sole computer at college for 2+ years, with
a printer. In that situation he didn't need to network with anyone and it
was fine (except of course the harddrive is too small!).

But when home for weekends and summer he could never print. We never figured
it out' just put up with it.

The web site has a place to "Chat Online"
http://atwnt333.external.hp.com/bus-...chat_pilot.asp so I'll try
that to ask about drivers.
Nan

"Thagor" wrote in message
om...
I've had Win2K running on one of these laptops for years without a glitch.

can't imagine why XP doesn't seem to work, (well maybe a touchpad problem

or
two), but you can always go with Win2K. If it needed a special driver for
Win2K, I probably have it somewhere so give me a shout should you decide

on
the latter and need one. I haven't been to Support since the HP take over

so
I wouldn't know what they have available.

"Whelan" wrote in message
I've just been handed down my son's Compaq Presario 1800 laptop. (I

bought
him a replacement.)

This Presario has never been able to tap into our home network for

printing
or file sharing (since I installed Win XPPro on it summer 2002. However

it
can use DSL through our router. This last week I have tried furiously to
solve the networking problem, with lots of advice on the Dell message
boards, but nothing works.

It looks like I will have to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Win

XPPro
to have any hope of networking it.

Has anyone made a fresh start on a a Presario 1800 with XP? Was it

difficult
to find drivers etc to make it work? I'm not finding what I need, so

far,
on
the web site; it only lists Win Me and 2000.

(We did purchase an extended warranty in July 2001... Any chance Compaq
would provide support of the type I need by phone?)

Nan

---