Old May 22nd 04, 12:17 AM
DaveW

The RAID card that you are talking about does NOT offer data redundency.
You have to get a much more expensive card for that. If your RAID 0 setup
that you are considering has a harddrive fail, ALL data will be lost.

--
DaveW

"TANKIE" wrote in message
I have a ton of files (50 gig and growing) that I am very tired of backing

up
and managing. I saw a RAID card for $60 for a PC that runs 2 mirrored

hard
drives. Also saw 120 gig hard drives for $60.

Hmmm. for $180 I get true RAID with BIG drives in my desktop! This means
that I don't have to make periodic CD backups nearly so often. Change
something on one drive and it gets done on both without me having to think
about it. And it is very unlikely that both drives will go down at once.

What happens if one drive dies? Does the other one seamlessly take over,

or
must the PC be rebooted? Do I have to take it apart to swap cables, or

would it
just keep running? If it just keeps running, how do I know that a drive is
dead?

Are there any drawbacks to running RAID on a PC? Anyone have experience
mirroring drives like this? Your comments appreciated.

thanks