Old October 25th 04, 09:28 PM
Jim

Dave C. wrote:

I use a Winfast TV2000 Expert PVR card for recording movies to play back
through our home theater system. The sound card is Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.
The combination is EXCELLENT. Video and sound quality are perfect, no
complaints. However, the software that came with the PVR card was rather a
bitch to set up, and I had no sound at all for a while. Then I had
over-driven sound for a while. Basically, I don't know whether it was the
PVR card or the Sound Card or the software, or a combination of two or all
three, but it took a while to get all the settings (including the PVR
software settings!) balanced correctly. In my case, I run the sound card at
near maximum volume now, and the PVR software set around mid-range. If the
sound card volume isn't turned up quite a ways, the (played back) sound is
rather weak, even after being amplified by the A/V receiver.

I suspect you have two problems. First, a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz probably
has better output than onboard sound in terms of volume level and S/N ratio.
So even if you "max" your onboard sound, it might be too weak, with too much
noise mixed in. But I think you also need to check the settings of your PVR
software. You've got three things affecting the quality of playback . . .
your sound card, your PVR software and your sound card mixer settings. Good
luck finding the right balance of the three. -Dave

Nothing to lose I ordered my Santa Cruz today from NewEgg. Should be
here by Thursday.