Old September 19th 20, 10:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

Default Apparent PSU problem

On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 15:50:22 -0400, Bill wrote:

| Sorry, what does PG stand for? Since you said all power levels were
| okay, I'm not sure what a new one is going to do better. You know how
| to do what the start button does directly on the motherboard with a
| screw driver, or other tool, don't you? I assume you tried that too.
| Next, I would look at the owners manual for the motherboard and see what
| a blinking PG indicates. Sorry, I am not an expert. Good luck!

PG=Power Good. It's an indicator that all power levels (+12V, +5V and +3.3V) are at
their correct output values. Under voltage protection kicks in and prevents the PSU
from turning on if there's any variation. This explains it more fully:

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/ever...protections/2/

Here is one part that explains the need for a PG reading to be OK before a computer
will start:

"... the under voltage protection shuts down the power supply if the outputs have a
voltage below a certain level. If the UVP is active when the power supply is first
turned on, the power supply would never turn on, because voltages are below the UVP
trigger point. In other words, because when you first turn on the power supply
voltages are below their values for a fraction of second, the UVP would prevent the
power supply from being turned on."

The PSU not coming on when UVP is active is a PC thing. When the PSU is connected to
a tester instead, it will come on even if there are problems.

I'm at least 90% sure the PSU is the sole problem here, but just wanted some input
from wiser, although likely not grayer, heads if there could be something I've
overlooked.

Larc