Old September 19th 20, 10:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
x13

Default Q: Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline?

Hi all.

I regularly transfer many large files to/from my media device (like a mini NAS) two rooms away. Though this box has both Ethernet and Wi-Fi connectivity, neither provide a satisfactory throughput. So I caved and installed a pair of Devolo Magic LAN 2 Powerline adapters. Sure there's a lot of bandwidth loss, but even that is faster than using a "networked" connection via my router.

The setup is very simple:

Mediabox - CAT-7 (S/FTP) Ethernet cable - Powerline

(two rooms further)

Powerline - CAT-7 (S/FTP) Ethernet cable - Laptop

For some time now, I've been thinking (dreaming) it would be great if I could replace my CAT-7 cables with glass fibre... and then came POF (Plastic Optical Fibre). Using POF, there would be 0% signal loss, plus it's not subject to induction which is an added bonus.

So how would I go about doing this, if it's at all feasible?
Besides the obvious POF cable (which I wouldn't mind running though the house as it's so small), what else would I need? A POF switch? Something else?

It's possible that the signal frequencies used by Powerline may not be compatible with POF (I hope not !). I have no idea. I'd appreciate the input of an electronics guru on this.

Thanks.
x13

-= Get GrabIt for free from https://www.shemes.com/ =-