Old September 16th 20, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

Default pr problem

On 9/15/2020 3:18 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

Yes wrote:

Within the last few weeks, the screen will go blank literally for a
second or two when I'm using my pc. I'll be at a web site, and all of
a sudden the screen blanks (turns dark), no error messages. A second
or two later, the image reappears as if nothing had happened. AFAICT,
there is no interruption in the stream from the site nor any shutdown
of the browser (Firefox latest version) itself. It may happen once
every several hours. I am not familiar with this type of problem, so
am asking for suggestions about what the problem might be. Please keep
suggestions simple - my skills and interests are limited to replacing
stuff, not equipment testing.

The motherboard is an ASUS B150M-A bought in 2016. The CPU is an Intel
i3-6100 CPU with stock cooler and 8 GB RAM (Corsair DDR4-2133 and
compatible for the m/b). I do not have a graphics card. The built-in
video component of the CPU has been sufficient for what I do with the
pc - surf the net. I have not noticed any problems with boot up or
with shut down. The O/S is Windows 10 Home edition. That's it for my
pc.

Replace the MSFT-provided Intel video driver, with a later version
from the downloadfinder.intel.com (or whatever it's called today)
download site. Google for

site:intel.com i3-6100 video driver

and see what intel.com domains pop up in reply.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pro...ache-3-70-GHz-

What you're seeing is VPU recovery - the video has stopped
responding, and it could be the driver that is slightly
borked. It could also be the video/GPU itself, but... less likely.

I've had stuff like this in the pass. On average, it takes three video
driver versions, until you "find a good one".

As I recall, an Intel utility came with my Intel mobo (from Asrock, not
Intel branded) to automatically check for updates for Intel hardware,
like the integrated graphics in the CPU. I remember the tool, because
it would keep offering this driver update with no option to ignore it on
subsequent update checks. I'm using a video card (AMD RX580), not the
onboard graphics, and every time this tool tried to apply the update it
failed. Maybe if I didn't have the video card then the update would
succeed. I think it was this thing:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...rt/detect.html

As I recall, Intel's update tool found a new video driver version before
Microsoft's catalog got updated with the new driver.

The latest video driver isn't necessarily the best one. It might fix
some bugs, but new code means new bugs. They also seem to discard some
compatibility code for old games to add new compatibility code for newer
games, so the later drivers may not work well with old games. In the
past, I had to walk backwards from the latest to earlier versions of the
video driver until I found one that was best compatible with old and new
games. Some video games that I play are over 20 years old.

Try reseating the monitor cable at both ends and or change monitor
cables if you have a spare. Also try a second monitor if you have one.
The monitor itself might be having problems which at times can look
like a PC problem.