Old October 10th 18, 04:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Nuts are for new computers

On Tue, 09 Oct 2018 22:26:50 -0400, Flasherly
wrote:

....gets me some extra memory, along with two more welcome SATA HD
(six) ports

-
Controllers, controllers, controllers. . .

On the old Intel setup, between SSDs I'd see 90M/sec transfers.

This one, I see 130-150M/sec.

A Samsung and a Crucial SDD, both MLC, dated to back wherever, each
being around 3 or more years old. . . .Yes, that's as well true -- my
oldest Samsung Solid State Drive is dated to being 64G.

I had to struggle with the Crucial. I lay in the same boot
arbitrators, into the each drive MBR;- how they interact, across
drives, aside, can be to said to be at the least enlightening;- recall
a MB BIOS now commonly features an hotkey boot override directly to
sequence a specific device as an Active Device.

The Crucial, however, was always somewhat problematic to the Intel
particular MB Chipsets, whereas the Samsung took to drive-mapping
arbitration, by all indications, like a duck to water. (The AMD2 was
by One Magnitude, precisely, lower in all regards unacceptable;- hence
the purchase update.)

Aspects, dare I say now, for water under the bride with the controller
on this new MB, i.e., the BIOS defines one of two MODE selections
permissible ACHI: either AUTO or [that's it: Hardcore Baby] ACHI;--
LEGACY, apparently, would be an indiscretion and is not, per se,
mentionable at all.

I can now work with arbitrating between operating systems with less a
sense I'm going to get my hands slapped hard for illegal instructions
with potentially disastrous results. In other words, controllers that
know what's thrown them and how to translate for widest comparability.

Can't wait to uncross my legs for my first slotted PCI SSD [M.2]
storage device. ...Don'cha know, they want to literally KILL SATA.