Old December 9th 05, 10:17 PM posted to comp.arch.storage

Default (S)ATA robustness

I'm wondering how much difference there exists between SATA and, say
FCAL drives when it comes to robustness.

I'm talking drives that will be more than 20% busy with seeks, always
spinning, in news servers. I've seen a too-high rate on FCAL disks used
as JBOD - about half the drives developing bad blocks, the other half
giving total failures - that I'm not sure going to mirrored SATA drives
is such a fine idea.

Would they wear out in a year, or would the reliability be reasonable?
Mirroring would catch most failures, but will the drive vendor complain
or stop support because of the failure rate?

Thomas