Old July 4th 06, 01:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.computer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
kony

Default Why Pentium?

On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 23:57:55 GMT, "George Hester"
wrote:

dual core processor at 3.2Ghz runs quite hot. In my case with aftermarket
(Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro) cooling, I have 50 degrees Celsius (almost
regardless of the ambient temperature).

John

Wow that is hot isn't it? That is where my machine is supposed to flip out.
I have the setting there. Can you tell me what it should never be more
than?

There is no need to set a shutdown temp of 50C.
The manufacturer or person setting it up merely forgot to
set a more appropriate temp. 70C would be better, but if
you want a machine-specific setting, run something that
loads it and checks for errors (like Prime95's Torture test)
and set the thresold temp below that which causes
instability, as you would not want the system producing
errors even if it weren't in jeopardy of permanent damage-
and it would then possibly indicate that a better heatsink
was useful in some situations.