Old May 9th 05, 05:13 AM
Von Fourche

wrote in message
On Mon, 09 May 2005 01:04:44 GMT, "Von Fourche"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

The DSL signal occupies a wide band of frequencies above the
voice range. To make sure that you don't hear interference in
phone calls, you plug a little filter between the line and each
telephone. The modem installation kit will include at least
one, and you can get more at places like Radio Shack.

Each phone? So, If I have one phone in the kitchen, one in the

livign
room, and the other dial-up phone jack without a phone, and hook DSL up

the dial-up jack without a phone, then I will have to put filters on both
the two phones?

It's possible to wire a filter between the line and most of the
house, with the DSL jack on the line side of the filter, but
it's usually easier to just put one on each phone. The filter
is a little widget with a plug and cable on one end and a jack
on the other.

Well, I just called my dial-up provider Earthlink. They said I could
get DSL from them. They want $19.95 for the first six months then $39.95
after that. I think the speeds would be the same between Earthlink and SBC.
The woman I talked to at Earthlink was in America and American. The guy I
talked to at SBC Yahoo was named Felipe or Pedro or something. I've been
reading a lot of bad things about SBC Yahoo customer support.

The lady mentioned the download speed could be up to 1.5 megs. I asked
her if I would actually be using the SBC DSL lines and just be paying
Earthlink. She mentioned since they are the only phone company offering DSL
I might be using the SBC lines for DSL. But she said all equipment comes
from Earthlink.

So, what do I do? Do I go with my phone company DSL (SBC Yahoo) and pay
$19.00 a month or do I go with my current my current dial-up provider
(Earthlink) and pay $19.00 then $39.00 after six months?

My gut tells me to go with Earthlink. I have had no problems with them.
I've only called them a few times since I've had them and customer support
has always been nice and good. The lady I talked to was in America. I
asked if Earthlink DSL customer support was in the U.S. She said they do
have centers in the U.S., like New Mexico, and they also have out of country
call centers. Ok, she was honest. But do I want to pay $40.00 a month for
it when I can pay $19.95 for the first year?