Old February 1st 04, 09:05 PM
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:52:22 GMT) it happened gaffo
wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe

you must not have the VIA based garbage chipset I have...............

I agree VIA sucks in respect to PCI bus, I get lines in my screen using
SkyStar 1 DVB-s card (only if full screen tuxview for example), and in
windows ticks in audio with Creative stuff, but the video encoding in Linux
works OK, no problem (ever).
Then this is an older VIA chipset (no idea about the latest ones).
Playing video with for example mplayer or xine in Linux no problems
(I would not even bother to try in windows, waist of time).
Playing audio, well, I have 2 soundcards (both Creative) in Linux (at the
same time if must be) NEVER a problem, in MS windows do not even try (ticks).
I am not saying VIA is to be excused, but lots of other things work OK, USB,
DMA what not.
There was a lot of VIA bashing recently here, is that problem still present
in the new VIA boards for the AMD64 series?
I found some nice boards here for sale now for 64 bits, quite a choice.
Still waiting for the price to drop a bit :-) (processor).