Old February 1st 04, 08:32 PM
chris

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 17:47:30 +0000, Jan Panteltje wrote:

I can't think of any benefit of buying an Intel CPU over an AMD64.

Video encoding

Well since my AMD system spend many nights encoding 2 pass DivX and mpeg2,
I have some doubts Intel is more speed for the money.
Given the same money you get a so much faster AMD (Athlon for example), that
AMD is faster.
Someone will likely disagree though.
Then there is SSE on playback (of the same video) and AMD will for sure win by
30% or so.
But all this is my subjective experience of cause.
Also the extreme stability of AMD processors (a requirement for an all night long
encoding session) always makes me happy.
As you see I am biased hehe

No problem ;-) I'm happy to have AMD in the CPU market besides Intel. It
keeps them sharp, while the consumer takes advantage.

There was a nice / interesting discussion about this topic in this group
half a year ago:
http://groups.google.nl/groups?hl=nl...net%26rnum%3D2
Apparently it took a dual Athlon to keep up with a P4 as it concerned
video editing. Since a dual Athlon system isn't less expensive anymore
than a single P4 system, for this particular application a P4 may be worth
the money. Otherwise an AMD system may be the best bang for the buck.

Best regards,
Chris (who can hardly wait until his overclocked Cu-mine cellery dies,
which would justify the "investment" in an AMD64 ;-))