Old November 27th 18, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default ATEN CS-104 KVM switch need power cord

wrote:

Hi Paul - You know who I am. Much help in the past.

Looks like I'm ok. I shud receive the adapter in a week or two.
In the meantime - now that I have your attention - I can use your
guidance in another area.

I use a laptop to play movies on my TV via cable connecting the laptop
HDMI to the TV HDMI, both female. A HDMI cable does the trick.
Wouldn't you know - the laptop has gone up. To save my marriage, I
thought to connect an unused XP PC to the TV, and need an adapter to
do the job. This looks good:
https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Plated-Adapter-Active-Converter-Meters/dp/B07CB83X4N/ref=asc_df_B07CB83X4N/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584482455415643&psc=1

What do you think?
Thanks as before. Happy gobble gobble.
Pete

I think the Amazon one is the wrong direction for you.
The Amazon one is:

computer (HDMI-out) ======== (VGA-in) TV set

But your TV has HDMI, and your computer has VGA.
The one you want, is like this.

Petes_Computer (VGA-out) ===== (HDMI-in) TV set

Unfortunately, that's an "expensive" direction.
It requires a digitizer on the VGA side, to make
a digital signal for the HDMI side. But I see prices
have come down *a lot*. At one time, a function similar
to this would be $300.

*******

I checked here, just to see what kind of price is involved.
The search turned up some turkeys instead of what I was
looking for, so not all of these are the right ones.

https://www.startech.com/Search?search_term=vga+to+hdmi

https://www.startech.com/AV/Converte...-1080p~VGA2HDU

Here is a picture of the adapter. It takes VGA plus
USB for power, and makes an HDMI signal. The back of
your PC would need a VGA and a USB.

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/me...A2HDU.main.jpg

That will give you some idea what kind of connectors
might be involved.

*******

When you're planning your project, you have two aspects
to solve, video and audio.

The HDMI to HDMI you were previously using, might have
been able to send audio over HDMI too. So the one cable can
carry both streams of information. HDMI digital format
has room for up to 8 channels of LPCM audio. Your home theater
could have a 7.1 speaker system for example. Not all program
content has 8 channels, so lots of times it will be stereo
and use 2 channels.

When you work with VGA, the VGA doesn't have audio.

For audio to get to the TV set from the PC tower
you've got, you'll either need a 1/8" plug to dual RCA
plugs (red and white on the TV set). Or, you'll need
the new adapter to handle audio (somehow).

The above adapter does USB to audio-over-HDMI. When you
plug in the USB plug, a new "sound card" will appear
in your sound output choices. You set the default sound
output to the new device, and the sound is carried on
the HDMI cable.

If the TV set is too old to support that, the analog
1/8" to two RCA males (red and white) will do the job instead.

*******

OK, here's an Amazon example of VGA to HDMI. Notice that
the resolution choices are limited, and they're mostly
VESA resolutions.

$26 (handles audio too)

https://www.amazon.com/Moread-Adapte.../dp/B072ZW46JP

1920x1080@60Hz 1080p Full HD
1600x1200
1024x768
800x600

So it doesn't have a 1280x720 for example (720p).

Preferably, it's nice to have wide screen formats for your
particular application. 1920x1080 might be what you're using
now with the laptop. If so, then the device above is
a perfect fit (1080p). Ratio is 1.77

1280x720 is also 1.77 . That's 720p.

This one is even cheaper, at $16.

$16 (handles audio too)

https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Conve.../dp/B01JYAYSUY

[P means Progressive Scan (what computers typically use)]

1080p 16:9 = 1.77 wide like TV
1600x1200p 4:3
1280x1024p 5:4
1280x960p 4:3
1280x768p
1280x720p 16:9 = 1.77 wide like TV
640x480p 4:3

I'm surprised they sell them for that little.

Anyway, those are examples of VGA to HDMI.

Now, double check what you need (I could be mistaken),
and when you pick something you like, post back for comments.

Paul