Old November 27th 04, 07:43 PM
kony

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:47:34 GMT, devilboy
wrote:

I then installed the drive into an AMD K2 450 with about 468MB of RAM
running Win2k Server SP4 (a machine I pieced together). The drive was
recognized and I get the same errors with Nero CD-DVD Speed on this
machine. On this machine the write test passed but at 8X. I have the
drive hooked up to the second IDE chain as master. DMA is disabled
according to Nero System Info but I cannot activate it. According to
the Yamaha manual there should be a Settings tab in Device Manager
where DMA mode can be switched on but that tab doesn't exist on either
of my machines.

This DMA issue is what I'd look at first. Can we assume
you're seeing relatively high CPU utilization in the Nero
tests?

Are you looking for the DMA mode setting on the XP box in
the properties for the controller, not the drive (you should
be) ?

If the controller channel is where you don't see any DMA
options, try reinstalling the motherboard chipset driver.
This is for the ATA interface, the SCSI should have DMA
working without a checkbox BUT it may still need the
motherboard chipset drivers functioning properly for
busmastering in order to work properly.

The K6 box, it's a bad example because the Super-7 chipsets
can be really picky about (darn near anything), the best bet
for that box (and consider it for your XP box too) is to
update the motherboard bios and use newest chipset drivers
available.