Old November 27th 04, 06:47 PM
devilboy

Default Yamaha CR3200S Fails Nero CD-DVD Speed Test- Error No Seek Complete (030200)

I have a Yamaha 3200S Ultra SCSI 24x8x40 CDRW installed with an
Adaptec AHA-2930CU host adapter. I'm also using an Ultra SCSI Pioneer
DVD 305 DVD/CD ROM. My system is an AMD Athlon 1700+ on an ECS K7SA
Mobo with 1GB of RAM and 4 harddrives. Two 40GB and two 80GB Western
Digitials running XP Pro SP1. I've been able to burn CDs with no
problems for 2 years.

I was using Nero 5.5 to burn. I installed iTunes and noticed some
intermittent burns. I uninstalled iTunes then installed Nero 6.6 and
to make a long story short (installed, uninstalled and tested with
Roxio Easy CD Creator and Sony CD Extreme) I ended up getting some
error messages on Nero CD-DVD Speed. The error is NO SEEK COMPLETE
(030200). I performed a write test with Nero CD-DVD Speed and it
wrote at 24X? Sometimes blank CDs are recognized and sometimes
they're not. I originally started with Fujis then bought a spool of
Imations thinking it might be a bad batch of disks. The problems
persisted.

This drive is an IDE or SCSI drive. It ships with a powered adapter
that converts the port from IDE to SCSI. I perfomed tests in both
modes.

I then installed the drive into an AMD K2 450 with about 468MB of RAM
running Win2k Server SP4 (a machine I pieced together). The drive was
recognized and I get the same errors with Nero CD-DVD Speed on this
machine. On this machine the write test passed but at 8X. I have the
drive hooked up to the second IDE chain as master. DMA is disabled
according to Nero System Info but I cannot activate it. According to
the Yamaha manual there should be a Settings tab in Device Manager
where DMA mode can be switched on but that tab doesn't exist on either
of my machines.

Is this something that I can possibly fix? The drive is 2 years old.
I sprayed it out a little bit with canned air but haven't attempted to
take the cover off to see how it looks inside.

TIA,